FPrimeC Solutions was hired by EXP Canada. to perform Non-destructive Testing to Evaluate the location and extent of delamination in bridge piers in Honore-Mercier Bridge Montreal, QC. The main objectives of the project was:
- Assess the thickness of concrete repair
- Evaluate the depth of delamination in concrete piers
- Verify the concrete cover thickness for repair design
- GPR scanning for rebar locate.
Evaluate Delamination in Bridge Piers using Impact Echo
Several areas on 4 faces of the concrete pier were investigated at different elevations. A zoom lift was used to access the concrete elements. The non-destructive testing method involved the following:
- Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) to map rebar location at different locations of the pier.
- Cover thickness measurement using cover meter
- Evaluate Delamination in Bridge Piers using Impact Echo
At each test station, a systematic test grid (9×9) was used to assess and verify the impact-echo response of the concrete element. The information was used to assess the thickness of existing repair concrete. Hammer sounding was also used to identify location of severe delamination in the pier element.